From History of Perth County 1825-1902
by William Johnston, published in 1903
For thirty years subsequent to first settlement, perhaps, no place of equal importance possessed so many undignified churches as St Marys.
They were all on a line of equality, and no congregation could arrogate to themselves any sense of superiority over another where all were so plain.
In 1883 matters took a change for the better, since which time great improvements have been made.
There are now few towns in Canada of equal population containing so many fine churches, and there are also few having so many beautiful situations for such buildings.